Founded in 1865, Lehigh University is a renowned institution in Pennsylvania’s scenic Lehigh Valley. The beautiful wooded campus covers an expansive 2,358 acres, making it one of the largest private campuses in the country. In addition, Lehigh’s rich, historic past and commitment to academic excellence attracts scholars from far and wide. Today, Lehigh University is home to more than 7,000 students and 75,000 alumni and is an integral part of Bethlehem life.
Spend The Day at Lehigh University
Whether you’re a fine arts fan, sports fanatic, or simply looking to interact with the Bethlehem community, a day trip to Lehigh University in Pennsylvania is the perfect way to get to know our area. Plus, when you stay at The Sayre Mansion, you are just a short 10-minute walk from all of the action on campus! Here are some of the University’s exciting upcoming events that you won’t want to miss.
Arts & Entertainment
Upcoming concerts, theatrical performances and art exhibits showcase the true talents of community members and Lehigh University students. Noteworthy events include:
- Art Gallery:Crochet Coral Reef: By Margaret and Christine Wertheim and the Institute For Figuring, September 12-December 8. What began as a projected created by twin sisters in Australia has grown into one of the largest community art projects in the world. The piece simulates the naturally occurring structures of coral reefs by crocheting woolen fabric.
- NY Jazz Rep Orchestra: Big Band Tribute, September 7, Some of the most sought-after Broadway and studio musicians in New York City join select Lehigh faculty to perform Big Band classics.
- The Princeton Singers:Infinite Variety, September 21, Enjoy an exclusive performance by this renowned, independent ensemble. The chorale is known for its versatility and mastery of works from Bach to Schoenberg.
- Dept. of Theatre: The Broken Machine, November 15-22, this provocative, climate-chaos tragicomedy, was commissioned by Lehigh’s Department of Theatre and written by the 2018-2019 Theodore U. Horger ’61 Artist-in-Residence in the Performing Arts. Liz Duffy Adams.
Lehigh University has a variety of upcoming sporting events that give you something to root for almost every day throughout the fall! Join students, parents, and fellow community members as they cheer on the Mountain Hawks. Exciting athletic events include:
- Football: If you’re craving some good food, cold beers, and a great game, be sure to attend the 155th Rivalry on November 23! This annual Lehigh vs Lafayette football game is the most-played college football rivalry in the nation and dates back to 1884, a mere one year after standardized football rules were established.
- Women’s Soccer: Cheer on the ladies of Lehigh as they challenge the Bison of Bucknell University on October 2.
Get to know our friendly, laid-back Lehigh Valley residents at a variety of fun local events. You’ll feel right at home from the moment you arrive! Upcoming opportunities include:
- Bethlehem Farmers’ Market: The Farmers’ Market is held in Farrington Square every Thursday until October 31 from 10 AM to 2 PM. Stop by for fresh produce, natural goods, lunch items, fresh baked bread, desserts, and even awesome live music!
- Founder’s Day: One of Lehigh’s oldest traditions, celebrated every year since 1879. The day recognizes the legacy of the school’s founder Asa Packer, plus showcases alumni generosity and leaders in the Lehigh community.
Stay at The Sayre Mansion!
After a fun-filled day at Lehigh, come back to total comfort and relaxation in one of our beautiful rooms or suites. Our historic Lehigh Valley hotel is located in the heart of downtown and is the ideal place to stay after any event! For more information on things to do at Lehigh University and around Bethlehem, download our free vacation guide.
Photo Credit: Lehigh Valley, PA | Flickr