Since its founding in 1865, Lehigh University has been a renowned institution in Pennsylvania’s scenic Lehigh Valley. The beautifully wooded campus covers an expansive 2,358 acres, making it one of the largest private campuses in the country. In addition, Lehigh’s rich, historic past and commitment to academic excellence have attracted scholars from far and wide and have helped them to thrive in the local community and job market. Today, Lehigh University is home to more than 6,900 students and 75,000 alumni and is a beloved and integral part of Bethlehem life.
Spend The Day at Lehigh University
Whether you’re a fine arts fan, sports fanatic, or are simply looking to bond with the Bethlehem community, a day trip to Lehigh University in Pennsylvania is the perfect way to get to know our area. Plus, when you stay at The Sayre Mansion, you’ll be just a short 10-minute walk from all of the action! Here are some of the University’s exciting upcoming events that you’ve just got to attend.
Arts & Entertainment
Be sure to stop by some of the upcoming theatrical performances and art exhibitions that showcase the true talents of community members and Lehigh University students. Enjoyable events include:
- Art Gallery: On Friday, October 30th, head to the Maginnes Hall – Dubois Gallery for an exhibition that you’ll never forget. Revisiting South Bethlehem: 150 Years of Photography showcases the works of generations of photographers who went to South Bethlehem to document America’s industrial age. Photos of the Lehigh Valley Railroad and Depression Era will captivate and educate all who attend.
- Choral Arts: On November 6th, join Lehigh University for a moving choral performance that pays tribute to the school children, teachers, and administrators lost at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT, in 2012. Audience members will never forget this touching experience.
Lehigh University has a variety of upcoming sporting events that will give you something to root for almost every day throughout the fall! Join students, parents, and fellow community members as they cheer on the Mountain Hawks. Exciting athletic events include:
- Football: If you’re craving some good food, cold beers, and a great game, be sure to attend the 151st Rivalry on November 21st! This annual Lehigh vs Lafayette football game is the most-played college football rivalry in the nation and dates back to 1884, a mere one year after standardized football rules were established.
- Women’s Soccer: Cheer on the ladies of Lehigh as they fight for the championship title against Patriot League on November 8th. The location is still to be determined, so keep your eye out for new announcements!
- Men’s Basketball: On November 19th, watch the guys make some incredible shots and dunks from 7 to 10 PM at the Lehigh vs Yale game. Go team!
You can get to know our friendly, laid-back Lehigh Valley residents at a variety of fun local events. You’ll feel right at home from the moment you arrive! Upcoming opportunities include:
- Bethlehem Farmers’ Market: The Farmers’ Market is held in Campus Square every Thursday until October 29 from 11 AM to 3 PM. Stop by for fresh produce, lunch items, fresh baked bread, desserts, and even awesome live music!
- Family Weekend: All are invited to Lehigh University to enjoy a weekend-long celebration of the Lehigh family. Whether you’re an alum, a family member of a current student, or a fan of the Brown & White, you’re welcome to attend activities like the Lehigh football game against Georgetown, tailgate party, informative college presentations, and more!
Stay at The Sayre Mansion!
After a fun-filled day at Lehigh, come back to total comfort and relaxation in one of our beautiful rooms or suites. Our historic Lehigh Valley hotel is located in the heart of downtown and is the ideal place to stay after any event! For more information on things to do at Lehigh University and around Bethlehem, download our free vacation guide.
Photo Credit: Lehigh Valley, PA | Flickr