In the beautiful Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania, you’ll find charming Allentown, a small town with a big city swagger. There are numerous fun things to do in Allentown without the hustle and bustle of the big city. With a lively downtown, large event centers, amusements parks and green parks scattered throughout the town, there is something to do for everyone in Allentown.
- Dorney Park is an amusement and water park in Allentown and is a favorite warm-weather attraction. With a variety of live music shows in their amphitheater, numerous roller coasters, and thrill rides, and even a Dinosaurs Alive animatronic exhibit, there’s amusement here for the whole family. Check their website for the soon-to-be-announced 2015 dates.
- The Mack Truck Museum in Allentown is a great place for any automotive enthusiast and a 2-year-old boy’s dream. Learn the history of Mack Trucks, and the diesel engine in general at this hub for the American car culture. The museum also restores vintage Mack trucks, which are simply beautiful, even for those of you less excited about the industry.
- Allentown is home to many quintessential Lehigh Valley Parks. Little Lehigh Park is historic with running and biking trails, a creek, and a covered bridge. Another city park favorite is Cedar Beach Park located on Cedar Creek. This park has multiple picnic pavilions equipped with charcoal grills. The Park also has a public pool, as well as Lake Muhlenberg. Close by you’ll find the Memorial Rose Garden, a wonderful treat in the springtime
- The Lehigh Valley Covered Bridge Tour is a great way to spend part of your day. The Lehigh Valley is home to seven of Pennsylvania’s 200 historic covered bridges. Five of our bridges are still open to traffic and are beautiful gems often taken for granted by locals. This 50 mile driving or, if you’re feeling ambitious, biking tour is a great way to see the whole valley and learn about some of its history.
- The Allentown Art Museum is impressive in the scope of its collection. Home to over 17,000 works of art covering over 2,000 years of cultural heritage and offering a variety of exhibits, collections, educational programs and community events, the Allentown Art Museum is a staple among fun things to do in Allentown.
- The PPL Center is a new sports arena in Allentown, which is home to the AHL team the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, as well as the Lehigh Valley Steel Hawks, the professional indoor football team. This events center can seat 8,500 for sporting events, and 10,000 for concerts, making it the biggest venue in the region. Here are some of the upcoming events at PPL.
If you’re planning a trip to the area rest assured you’ll find many great things to do in Allentown. Consider staying nearby in Bethlehem PA at Sayre Mansion, a quaint bed and breakfast known for its outstanding hospitality, breakfasts, and charm.